Saturday, December 17, 2016

Welcome! Üdvözöllek!

Welcome! Üdvözöllek!

This is a community committed to learning Hungarian. I will post about once a week (haven't chosen a day yet) where we can discuss various aspects of the Hungarian language. Today, I'm asking you:

Why have you chosen to learn Hungarian?

For me, Hungarian looks like a real challenge and I love challenges. Sure, Spanish is great and all... but can I really resist those 20+ cases, vowel harmony and flexible order? NO! Not every language you should learn should be chosen on the basis that it is easy. Everyone needs a challenge now and then. For some people, that's getting up early or going to the gym or eating their mam's Brussel sprouts. But for me it's trying a language that I tried once and never tried again. I've only done this twice, first with Hungarian and second with Vietnamese. But, don't worry, I never let a language beat me for to long! Also, I like the way that Hungarian sounds. I heard a family speaking it the other day, I thought at first that it was Swedish or maybe Norwegian as it has that strange Nordic sound to it. To add to this when I heard the word I thought it was the Swedish or Norwegian word for yes (which is ja or jo, I can't read and write the Scandinavian languages). But then I heard the word nem which I think means not. Don't ask me how I remembered that. I just did.

So why do you want to learn Hungarian?

No comments:

Post a Comment