Sunday, December 25, 2016

Basic Words & Sentences

Today we're gonna jump into the deep end and learn a bunch of new Hungarian vocab! I personally like to sort out words to make them easier to learn. Try which way works best for you. Some good methods are flashcards or writing them down. 😉

Nouns

  • Reggel - Morning
  • DĂ©l - Afternoon
  • TƱz - Fire
  • JĂ©g - Ice
  • HĂł - Snow
  • Álom - Dream
  • Óra - Clock
  • TanĂĄr - Teacher
  • SofƑr - Driver 
  • Orovos - Doctor
  • JĂĄtĂ©k - Game/Toy

Verbs

  • VĂĄrok - I wait or I am waiting (no difference between present and present continuous in Hungarian)
  • VĂĄrsz - You wait (sg.)
  • VĂĄr - He/she/it waits
  • Állok - I stand
  • Állsz - You stand (sg.)
  • Áll - He/she/it stands
  • SĂ©tĂĄlok - I walk
  • SĂ©tĂĄlsz - You walk (sg.)
  • SĂ©tĂĄl - He/she/it walks
  • CsinĂĄlok - I do
  • CsinĂĄlsz - You do (sg.)
  • CsinĂĄl - He/she/it does

Adverbs

  • Gyakran - Often/Usually
  • RitkĂĄn - Rarely (opposite of gyakran)
  • Mindig - Always
  • DĂ©lutĂĄn - In the afternoon
  • DĂ©lben - At noon
  • Ma - Today
  • Most - Now
  • MĂĄr - Already
  • Akkor - Then
  • KorĂĄn - Early
  • Ilyen korĂĄn - This early
  • EgyedĂŒl - Alone

Adjectives

  • Kicsi - Small
  • Nagy - Big
  • Alacsony - Short
  • Magas - Tall
  • Piros - Red
  • Fekete - Black
  • Magyar - Hungarian
  • Angol - English
  • Fiatal - Young
  • SzĂ©p - Beautiful

Locations

  • Elöl - In the front
  • HĂĄtul - In the back
  • Otthon - At home

Question Words

  • Milyen - What kind of
  • Milyen a/az/egy - What is the/a/an ... like?
  • Ki? - Who?

Examples

  • A telefon elöl van, az alma pedig hĂĄtul - The telephone is in the front whereas the apple is in the back
  • Reggel van - It is morning
  • Hol van a fĂ©rfi dĂ©lutĂĄn? - Where is the man in the afternoon?
  • Itt nincs este - It isn't evening here
  • A busz gyakran itt van - The bus is often here
  • A szĂ©k mindig elöl van - The chair is always in front
  • Soha nem kint vagyok - I am never outside
  • A fĂ©rfi otthon van - The man is at home
  • Nincs jĂ©g otthon - There is no ice at home
  • Milyen autĂł ez? - What type of car is this?
  • Milyen az auto? - What is the car like?
  • Ki vagy te? - Who are you?
  • Nem vagyok tanĂĄr - I am not a teacher
  • Hol sĂ©tĂĄl az orvos? - Where does the doctor walk?
  • Mit csinĂĄlsz? - What are you doing?
  • Nem vagyok fiatal - I am not young
  • Az angol nƑ szĂ©p - The English woman is beautiful
  • Mit csinĂĄlsz most? - What are you doing now?
  • Akkor Ă©s ott - Then and there
  • Mit csinĂĄlsz ilyen korĂĄn? - What are you doing so early?
  • Hol van a jĂĄtĂ©k? - Where is the game?

Note that van is the positive form and nincs is the negative form.

I also a Duolingo sentence, "Hol van hĂł?" and I began to ask myself why not "Hol va a hĂł?"?. Well, I got a really interesting answer from Duolingo user RyagonIV had this to say:

"Hol van a hĂł?" does mean "Where is the snow?"
This (article-less) sentence here asks about where snow is, where it exists, in general. It's not talking about a certain snow. Here you'd get an answer like
"Fent a hegyen" - "(There is snow) up on the mountain", for instance.

Next week, I'm gonna learn about word order to help me :)

The weekly challenge, introduce yourself, say are you a boy, girl, man or a woman (ember = person/gender neutral), and answer this question "Milyen az autĂł?".



Here is my answer, if you are Hungarian please check it for me:

Szia!
Daniel vagyok.
DiĂĄk vagyok.
Nem vagyok magyar.
Ír vagyok.
FiĂș vagyok.
AutĂł kicsi Ă©s piros. Nem nagy Ă©s fekete.

Also I'm trying to make a sentence, does it sound OK? "Magyar vagy Ă©n angol vagyok"

I only realised now, that we never learned about phrases. Let's do them next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment